(From the OBA bulletin May 21, 2014)
By now most of you will have received the forms for the new Beekeepers Financial Assistance Program from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food. We want to point out that you MUST have your colonies registered with the Province in order to be eligible for this program. If you haven't done so already, you can find the forms here.
An overview of the whole program can be found here, but following are a few facts:
- The program is designed to cover up to 160% of the original hives you registered for 2014. If you lose all your hives over the winter, you can replace them all and know they're still covered for in-season losses.
- If you started beekeeping after March 31, 2014, you are eligible for the season starting April 1, 2014.
- Keep all receipts and other records of any purchases and inventory changes of beehives over the year. They may be used to validate any claims you make.
- The deadline for overwinter losses is June 20, 2014
- The deadline for In-season losses is November 21, 2014
Any questions from beekeepers on the details of the compensation program should be directed to:
- The Agricorp contact phone number at 1-888-247-4999